Debbie Millman’s Advice for College Students
As you’re entering clinic and nearing graduation, it’s time to start thinking about the next step - landing a job you’ll love. Whether that means doing a chiropractic residency at the VA, working as an associate or independent contractor, or even opening your own practice, you shouldn’t sit back and wait to see what life brings your way. The most successful graduates leave nothing to chance - they take the reins and begin working toward their first job well before convocation.
Debbie Millman (@debbiemillman) was named by Graphic Design USA as “one of the most influential designers working today.” She is also the founder and host of Design Matters, the world’s first and longest-running podcast about design.
She was interviewed earlier this year on The Tim Ferriss Show on How to Prioritize Your Life and Make Time for What Matters.
Toward the end of the interview, Tim asked her what advice she would give to a smart, driven college student about to enter the “real” world (and what advice should they ignore)?
She responds with five questions you should ask yourself as you set out on your path in the real world to win a job.
- Am I spending enough time on looking for, finding, and working toward winning a great job?
- Am I constantly refining and improving my skills? What can I do to continue to get better and more competitive at?
- Do I believe I am working harder than everyone else? If not, what can and should I be doing in order to be able to accomplish that?
- What are the people who are competing with me doing that I am not doing?
- Am I doing everything I can every single day to stay in career shape? If not, what else should I be doing?
The classmates and podcast guests who I have seen go on to successful practice have a few things in common. Here are just a few of the things they do:
- Continually learn. They go above and beyond the standard chiropractic curriculum by taking weekend seminars, sometimes every weekend.
- Get involved with SACA and attend conferences like NCLC.
- Stay up to date on the latest research and evidence-based assessment methods
These are just a few possible answers to Debbie Millman’s 5 Questions to Find and Win a Great Job.